Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Heebie-de-be-Jeebies

Spoken in a way to imitate King Julian of the Lemurs.


There's this guy in the workroom close by right now who creeps me out. He's fixing our folding machine as I type - not that that really has any bearing on anything, but I thought I'd throw it out there free of charge.

Anyway, middle-aged tech-mechanic guy just seems a little creepy to me. Betty agreed that he was different but kinda laughed at me a little when I used the word "creepy." Not so much a making-fun-of-me laugh, but just one of those oh-Erica-you're-funny laughs (I get those from her a lot). Admittedly, I couldn't figure out why he creeped me out, and it was frustrating to me, but then I remembered something:

He winked at me.

I know that doesn't sound like a big deal out of context, but I mean, when he first walked in, before he spoke or anything, he just winked at me.

Do winking strangers bother anyone else? Perhaps it's because a wink - at least in my own subconscious (and perhaps those of other people) - is supposed to carry a significance; a specific message, if you will. A stranger cannot wink to share an inside joke or prearranged signal because he is a stranger and shares no inside joke or prearranged anything with me. So just what exactly is it he's trying to say? HMMMMMMMM?

I think all this goes through my subconscious in about .3 seconds when a stranger winks at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment